Our vision is a Broader Middle East and North Africa (BMENA) region that enjoys inclusive Human Rights, democracy, and Rule of Law, enriched by all its diverse peoples and cultures. We imagine a region where women and men, youth and elderly, minorities and majorities, rulers and ruled are equal partners in shaping governance and ensuring the wellbeing of all citizens.
Our mission is to foster democratic and civic space across the BMENA region. We fulfill our mission by nurturing CSOs, and building bridges between Civil Society, governments and international stakeholders. We are trusted by our regional and international stakeholders for our commitment, compassion and competence.
We believe in ‘practicing what we preach’. We aspire to embody and promote these values through our work. We support CSOs that promote democratic values and uphold the values and principles we endorse and embody.
Our VALUES and PRINCIPLES
- The values that we consider essential for peace and democracy in BMENA are
* Justice * Inclusiveness * Responsible citizenship * Diversity
* Dignity * Solidarity * Equality
- In all our activities, we also seek to uphold the principles that underlie democratic governance:
* Independence * Fairness * Transparency * Accountability
- The Foundation for the Future supports the people of the countries of the Middle East and North Africa in their efforts to advance and strengthen freedom and democratic trends and practices.
- The Foundation focuses on supporting free, fair, and genuinely competitive elections, the rule of law, access to and transparency of information, freedom of association, independent media, access to civic education, the empowerment of women, and human rights as included in the major international conventions and agreements.
- The Foundation recognizes and values the differences that exist between individual nations in the region, and that each represents a unique amalgam of history, culture, religion, and traditions.
- The Foundation is confident in its conviction that its resources and activities will foster the spirit of democratic reform so evident in the region and provide citizens and governments with the means and inspiration to promote freedom and democracy.
- The Foundation exercises the widest possible flexibility in its activities within the region, seeking to draw on indigenous reformers and their ideas, and to include them in innovative approaches which nurture grass-roots civil society organizations and their leaders and recognize the creativity of governments as they encourage such organizations to join them in strengthening democratic processes and institutions.